Faith Pledge and Aspirations of Muhammadiyah Life
1. Muhammadiyah is an Islamic movement and does Amar Ma'ruf Nahi Munkar (doing good deeds and abandoning bad ones). With Islamic confidence based on Al Quran and Sunnah (the sayings and deeds of Prophet Muhammad), Muhammadiyah aspires to and works for the realization a civilized, just, and prosperous society blessed by the Almighty God (Allah SWT) and implements the function and mission of mankind as a humble servant and khalifah (caliph) of God on earth.
2. Muhammadiyah is convinced that Islam is God’s religion revealed to His Prophets, starting from Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus to Muhammad as the last prophet, as the God’s guidance and mercy to mankind forever to ensure material and spiritual life on earth and in the hereafter.
3. Muhammadiyah implements Islam based on:
a. Al-Qur'an: God’s revelation to Prophet Muhammad;
b. Sunnah: The explanation and implementation of Al-Quran teachings revealed to Muhammad by using common sense suitable to the soul of Islamic teaching.
4. Muhammadiyah works for the realization of Islamic teachings that cover:
a. 'Aqidah (Faith)
Muhammadiyah works for upholding pure and untainted Islamic Aqidah which is free from kemusyrikan (polytheism) and bid’ah and khurafat (deceitfulness) without neglecting the tolerant principles based on Islamic teaching.
Muhammadiyah works for upholding noble moral values based on the teachings of Al-Qur'an and Sunnah, not based on man-created values.
Muhammadiyah works for upholding worship guided by Prophet Muhammad, without additional changes from human being.
d. Muamalah Duniawiyah
Muhammadiyah works for the implementation of mu'amalat duniawiyah (world management and public supervision) based on Islamic teaching. All the activities become the worship for God.
5. Muhammadiyah invites all Indonesian people who have got God’s blessing in the form of country rich with wealth resources, independence of the Republic of Indonesia based on Pancasila and 1945 Constitution, to try together to be a just and prosperous country blessed by the Almighty God (Allah SWT):
"BALDATUN THAYYIBATUB WA ROBBUN GHOFUR"
“A PROSPEROUS COUNTRY BLESSED BY GOD”
(Decision of Tanwir Year 1969 in Ponorogo)
The formulation of Pledge has been revised by Muhammadiyah Central Executive:
1. Upon permission from Tanwir year 1970 in Yogyakarta;
2. Adjusted to the Decision of 41st Muhammadiyah Congress in Surakarta.
(trans by hmz - uhamka)